{Daily Anecdotes}

Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Am Stronger

I was recently asked to think about a challenge that has made me stronger. Well, teaching high school students can be a constant challenge but when you lack a strong administration and leadership in your school that challenge is even greater. We went through a period of time in our district where we lacked a strong administration. There was no discipline or support and the students ran the school! We lost many teachers at semester which is almost unheard of in education and our students would brag that they were trying to see how many teachers they could drive away. I am normally laid back and quiet but I did not agree with the way many things were being handled. I stood up for what I thought was right even if that meant going against my administrator and received disciplinary action. It was a very difficult year. Not only did it make me stronger but during this difficult time I received so many calls of support from my colleagues. We stuck together and fought for our school and the following year the superintendent finally stepped in and admitted the problems, released our principal from his contract, and brought in an interim principal. Two years later and the joy of teaching is back! I work with truly caring teachers under a supportive administration and like they say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

4 comments:

Jade Cook said...

good for you to stand up for yourself!

Megan Ann said...

What a wonderful thing you have done! My mom is a teacher too--and one year 4 of the board members and the superintendent of the school were arrested for extortion and bribery and a bunch of other charges. I know that was a stressful time for a lot of the teachers. I can't imagine a student run school--I'm glad you are back to enjoying your job with strong support!

Sue said...

Sometimes doing what you believe is hard but I am glad you did it !!!

Kozy Krafter said...

Even though it came be hard to stand out ground for what we believe is hard. You did the right thing and because you stepping up other stood by you and now the whole school is better!