{Daily Anecdotes}

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Meeting Nicholas Sparks!



I was so excited to have the opportunity to meet Nicholas Sparks last night! I was impressed with how genuine and personable he is. He is an amazing author and person both inside and out! The event did not start until 7 p.m. but Nicholas was in the auditorium when the doors opened to pose for pics. Isn't he a cutie! I own and have read every book he has written including his memoir: Three Weeks With My Brother. So I wasn't expecting to hear much during his lecture that I didn't already know. Nicholas is full of surprises though! He started by talking about his passions. Of course his passions include his wife and five children. In addition, he coaches high school track at his local high school. He has worked with at-risk youth, believes in them, and has shown them that they can be successful. He was proud of the track records his team has set as well as the number of his former runners that have gone on to college with full ride scholarships. His newest book which he was promoting, The Lucky One, has recently made it to the top of the New York Times bestsellers' list. He has sold the movie rights to yet another book and has even sold an idea to Disney that will star Miley Cyrus! What I was most impressed with however was hearing about the Christian school he and his wife started. It is a global school that requires a passport. It is grades 6-12 and students visit the places they learn about. While studying the Incas they travel to Peru and hike through Macchu Picchu or during a unit on rainforests they may take a trip to Costa Rica. What an amazing experience these kids will have! Upon graduating from high school they will have visited more than 20 countries on 6 continents. There was a brief question and answer session following his talk and then he signed books! It was nice getting the chance to see my sister and spend the evening together without kids! I wish I could have stayed longer but I had to drive back early this morning as this week is both Homecoming and Parent/Teacher Conferences.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Julie, how awesome that you got to meet him and get a picture with him - he is a cutie! I love his books too and can't wait to read his latest.

Marci said...

Wow, how awesome to get to meet a fave and even learn so much new about him!

mse006 said...

i am soooo jealous!!! i would love to meet him!! im glad you had a good time!