{Daily Anecdotes}

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Project Wednesdays: Fabric Headband

Gabi has been wanting to grow her hair out again but as soon as it reaches this length it gets so unmanageable and is always in her face! She hates wearing plastic headbands because they hurt her head so I think I found the perfect solution! I had some extra fabric leftover from the tote I made so I decided to turn it into a matching headband!

Step 1: Cut 2 rectangles 3" x 18" and 2 rectangles that measure 1.5" x 6.5". You can cut these from the same fabric or you can use 2 different fabrics if you'd like a reversible look! This size perfectly fits Gabi but you may want to add an inch if you are making it for an adult.

Step 2: Take your 2 larger pieces, fold in half, and press.

Step 3: Use a clear ruler and rotary cutter to taper your headband. Make sure one end of your ruler is flush with the folded end of your rectangle. The other end should be 1/2 inch in from the edge.
Step 4: Open your pieces and lay out with the wrong side of the fabric face up. Fold each end of the headband in 1/4 inch and press.

Step 5: Now's the fun part! Put the two larger rectangles with the right side of the fabric together and stitch using a 1/4 inch seam down the two long sides. Do the same with the 2 smaller rectangles.

Step 6: Press seams and then using a safety pin turn the two tubes inside out. Press again.

Step 7: Cut a 3" strip of elastic and insert it into the smaller tube. I attached a small safety pin to one end of the elastic to help me pull it through. Pull one edge of the elastic (the end without the safety pin) to the end of the tube. Insert into the headband, center, and stitch as close to the edge as possible. I backstitched and stitched it again to reinforce the stitching. Using the safety pin pull the elastic to the other end of the small tube and scrunch the fabric. Insert it into the other end of the headband, and once again stitch as close to the edge as possible.



There you go! A quick, easy headband! I will definitely be making more of these!

























0 comments: