Wow the last week of school was a whirlwind and today was the first day I've been able to sit down and relax. Tuesday of last week the secretary buzzed my room to let me know I had an emergency phone call. My dad has Life Alert and I knew it would be them calling. They told me he had not reset the machine that morning and they weren't getting a signal. They asked me to go check on him. I ran and grabbed my keys and dashed out the door. I am lucky to have such great coworkers that were willing to give up their lunch to run across the hall and watch my class! I wasn't sure what I would find when I got there. I was a little relieved to find public safety was already there. Dad was fine but had fallen yet again! His health has really deteriorated and even the officer on the scene said my dad should not be left alone! My sister has been trying to come to town for a month or so but with our hectic schedules we just hadn't found the time. Unfortunately though when this happened we knew we would have to make the time because time is precious.
So Sally came in town this weekend with her family. My sis and I went and took a tour of a local nursing home and armed ourselves with tons of info. We then went to our dad and presented it to him. Sally was awesome! She let dad have it! Dad has always said that he would never go into the nursing home and family agreed that he would give up if he ever had to live there. But unfortunately his health has deteriorated so rapidly that he just can not safely live alone anymore. We somehow convinced him to take a tour of the nursing home and he was shocked with how much it has changed! It is a beautiful facility and he knew several men living there. They flat out told him this was not a "rest" home and that they expected him to do for himself whatever he is capable of doing and that they would give him rehabilitation to help him. This is exactly what he needed to hear! He has agreed to fill out necessary paperwork to apply and would stay there until a position opens up for him at the VA home! This is such a relief! My sis is awesome! I could not have done this alone. She is going to drive (3 1/2 hrs each way) back here on Wednesday for the day to help fill out paperwork! We have alot of work ahead of us going through the house and preparing to sell it but we just feel so much better knowing that he will be receiving around the clock care!
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment