{Daily Anecdotes}

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Blame it on the Rain

Do you remember that oldie by Milli Vanilli? Well, I don't know if it was the rain, PMS, lack of sleep, withdrawls from sugar or what but I had a MAJOR meltdown today! I feel like everyone in my family takes, takes, takes and I have no more to give! Both my brother and sister have moved away and it seems the care of our Dad has all fallen on my shoulders. I'm the one that answers the phone in the middle of the night on a weekly basis never knowing if I'm going to hear the worst. I'm the one that sat with him in the ER and takes him to the Doctor. Well, I lost it today and decided I am no longer going to cater to their every need! It is time to take care of myself! So I did just that today! I unplugged my phones, headed to the mall, and spent the day with my daughter! It was just what the doctor ordered! We both got much needed haircuts and a few new "toys"! I'm kind of enjoying being unplugged! I was proud that I kept control of my emotional eating today too! Instead of stuffing my face I laced up the old tennis shoes and went for a walk! It was very therapeutic! The weather turned slightly cooler this afternoon as well which made it even nicer! I jammed out to some tunes and walked the stress away! Much healthier than my usual method of having a beer in front of the t.v. So that was my little success of the day!

6 comments:

Pat said...

Hey - we should start a virtual "walking community." I'm wondering....if we took our cameras with us, we could call it a photo walk, and then kill a couple of birds (theoretically of course) with a single rock. Take some pictures, get some exercise - it could work, right?

You have my sypmathy on the father front. Good for you for unplugging. Used to be we didn't HAVE 24/7 phone access. Cell phones have made our lives more accessible, but we should remember that we need regular vacation time to recharge. Unplugging certainly is a great way to do that.

Michelle said...

Good for you for taking a 'me' day! You deserve it! Take a few more in the near future as well! Make it a priority!

Anonymous said...

There should be an extra day added to the calendar every week called Meday. I think it should go between Wednesday and Thursday and no one should be allowed to bother anyone else. As I am typing this my one year old is literally hanging from my shirt and crying in my ear because I am not holding her right now. I completely get the needing time to yourself!

Nati Tristan said...

I love Pat's idea!!!! About taking pictures on your daily walk! I think I might try that! Awesome! And you must take some time for yourself.. regularly... the thing is you are capable of being there for your dad... but don't bottle up the feelins of never having time for yourself.. schedule yourself a "me time" and let your family know. Good Luck Julie! I'm happy you got some stress relief!

Stacey's Creative Corner said...

Good for you! Everyone deserves a me day every once in awhile!

Unknown said...

Outstanding!